Home Page: Meeting Minutes
August 4, 2009 Regular Town Board Meeting
Town of Dodgeville
Regular Town Board Meeting
August 4th, 2009 @ 6:00 p.m.
1) Call to order. Town Chairman, Curt Peterson called the meeting to order at 6:02 p.m.
Town Supervisors in attendance were: Thomas Mueller and David Gollon. Also in attendance were Clerk Sara Olson, Jeanette Presley, Nick Portzen, Jeff Portzen-Weber, Wilma Dolan and Stewart Schilling. Absent Town Supervisors were: Charlie Price and David Thomas.
2) Approval of Public Notice/Agenda. Supervisor, Thomas Mueller made a motion to approve the public notice and agenda seconded by Supervisor, David Gollon. Motion carried.
Curt Peterson made a motion to suspend the agenda and move to Item #7, Discussion & possible action re: Mutual Aid Box Alarm System presented by Nick Portzen. David Gollon seconded the motion. Motion carried.
3) Discussion & possible action re: Mutual Aid Box Alarm System presented by Nick Portzen. Nick Portzen from Dodgeville Emergency Medical Team presented information on the Mutual Aid Box Alarm System. MABAS is a mutual aid organization that has been in existence since the late 1960s. MABAS includes over 25,000+ firefighters and daily staffed emergency response unites including more than 950 fire stations, 1100+ engine companies, 375+ ladder trucks, 800+ ambulances (mostly paramedic capable), 150+ heavy rescue squads, 135+ light rescue squads, and 275+ water tanks. MABAS also offers specialized operations teams for hazardous materials (HAZMAT), underwater rescue/recovery (DIVE), and above grade/below grade, trench and building collapse rescues. There is no cost to join MABAS and dues are self-imposed by and at the control of each individual MABAS division. The Town Board also commented on the benefits of becoming part of the MABAS program which would allow the township residence to receive medical and emergency services more quickly that are not currently located in our municipality (Example: a underwater rescue/recovery team or a hazardous material team). No action taken.
4) Discussion & possible adoption re: Resolution 2009-265 Mutual Aid Box Alarm System Agreement. David Gollon made a motion to approve and adopt Resolution 2009-265 Mutual Aid Box Alarm System Agreement. Thomas Mueller seconded the motion. Motion carried.
5) Discussion & possible action re: Fire Sign Concerns and Invoicing. Jeanette Presley presented information to the Board in reference to receiving a fire sign invoice that contained a $50 fee. Jeanette Presley was concerned of the $20 installation fee that was part of the $50 due to she felt that the Town would be inquiring more cost than $20 per sign, therefore she would like to save the township money as well as herself by installing her own sign and paying $30 for the sign and $6 for a new post. The Iowa County Ordinance does state that these signs must be installed by the Township; however Jeanette stated that she would provide pictures and the proof of location of her sign to the Township. Jeanette Presley requested that the Town Board allow her to pay the $36 and install the sign herself. The Town Board stated that they would not be able to make such a motion in that manner. Jeanette Presley then left the Town Board meeting. No action taken.
Clerk/Treasurer Sara Olson also presented four other invoice inquires to the Town Board about the fire signs. A few township residents received invoices for properties that were assigned a fire number but no longer where occupied, were pastures, were eventually going to be annexed into the city, or are considered an unbuildable lot according to the Department of Natural Resources. Thomas Mueller made a motion to deny these exceptions as being considered as properties that do not need to purchase the fire number that was assigned to that property. David Gollon seconded the motion. Motion carried.
6) Discussion & possible adoption re: Resolution 2009-266 Bicycling Notification. Clerk/Treasurer Sara Olson presented a draft of Resolution 2009-266 Bicycling Notification. Stewart Schilling who was with the Dairyland Dare bicyclist club was also present at this meeting. Stewart presented information in reference to an event that was going to take place that utilized township roads on August 15th. The Town Board talked about the benefits to the township as well as the bicyclist clubs to have and adopt a notification system when a bicycling rally, race or organized event is planned that utilizes Township roads for everybodyís safety and protection. The Town Board asked Stewart if he had any comments on the draft of Resolution 2009-266, the only thing that Stewart could see was there was a grey area about how many bicyclist were considered a rally, race, or an organized event. Stewart Schilling also stated that he would be willing to talk and work with other organizations to help with the wording of this Resolution. No action taken.
7) Public Comment. Wilma Dolan had come before the Board with concerns of landowners having junk vehicles on their property. The Town Board stated that there is no Township Ordinance currently that addresses this situation. The Iowa Countyís zoning ordinance addresses junk vehicles, however the ordinance allows people to have no more than 3 junk vehicles on their property before the county can enforce the ordinance. No action taken.
8) Approval of Meeting Minutes from July 7th, 2009. Curt Peterson requested to add to the July 7th, 2009 minutes that Town Supervisor Charles Price was absent. David Gollon made a motion to approve the July 7th minutes with the above requested information being added. Thomas Mueller seconded the motion. Motion carried.
9) Approval of Treasurerís Report for General, Sanitary District #1, 2, 3 and Tax Collection Account. David Gollon made a motion to accept the Town of Dodgeville July 2009 Treasurerís Report as submitted stating the following fund balances:
General Checking $ 47,699.24
Farmerís Savings $ 10,466.63
M&I Bank Tax Account $ 16,046.93
Local Government Investment Pool $ 6,920.00
M&I Bank CDís $ 100,000.00
Thomas Mueller seconded the motion. Motion carried.
David Gollon made a motion to approve Sanitary Districts #1, 2, 3 Treasurerís Report and Tax Collection Account as submitted stating the following fund balances:
Sanitary District #1 $ 11,519.78
Sanitary District #2 $ 6,960.86
Sanitary District #3 $ 329.94
Thomas Mueller seconded the motion. Motion carried.
10) Bills to be approved. David Gollon made a motion to approve the August vouchers in the amount of $65,535.65. Thomas Mueller seconded the motion. Motion carried. *Note the dog licensing settlement was only $1,417.00 versus $1,512.00, therefore the total of all bills submitted for approve on August 4th was $65,440.65 not $65,535.65.*
11) Discussion & possible action re: Driveway Variance for Chess Adams on James Road. Chess Adams presented a draft of a Driveway Agreement that contained the items that were mentioned from the previous Town Board meeting. The Town Board discussed the document and noted the following things that they would like to have changed or added: The Town Board may require a driveway be installed according to the Chapter 6 Driveway Ordinance for any and all improvements to the property or if the property is used for any other purpose beside recreational. The Town Board also feels as if this agreement should be non-transferable. The Town Board would also like to see a waiver of liability statement in the Driveway Agreement in the event that emergency vehicles are unable to perform requested emergency services due to the driveway being impassible. The Town Board requests that a revised Driveway Agreement be submitted and put on next monthís agenda. No action taken.
12) Equipment Repairs Report. Clerk/Treasurer Sara Olson talked to the Board about the Townís mower tractor that had been repaired. No action taken.
13) Discussion & possible action re: Letter to New Holland in reference to the quality of the mechanicals of the Roadside Mowing Tractor. David Gollon made a motion to accept and mail the letter to New Holland in reference to the quality of the mechanicals of the Roadside Mowing Tractor with the spelling errors corrected and the following sentence added to the letter: This tractor has been defective from day one for the township. Curt Peterson seconded the motion. Motion carried.
14) Discussion & possible action re: Setting a date for Fall Clean-Up. Clerk/Treasurer Sara Olson requested the Town Board look at the month of October and select two possible dates for the Fall-Cleanup. Thomas Mueller made a motion to have the Fall Clean-Up on October 10th, 2009 and if this date was unavailable with Town & Country the Fall Clean-Up would take place on October 17th. David Gollon seconded the motion. Motion carried.
15) Discussion & possible action re: Increased cost of landfill surcharges. Clerk/Treasurer Sara Olson presented the Town Board with a notice from Town & Country that as of July 1, 2009 the Wisconsin State Budget has passed a $4.10 per ton increase on landfill surcharges. Also, on October 1, 2009 it will increase an additional $3.00 per ton. Due to circumstances beyond Town & Countryís control: They have no choice but to pass these increases onto their customers. These additional fees were not included in our original contract with Town & Country. David Gollon made a motion to accept the increased cost per ton from $36 to $40.10 effective July 1st, 2009 and to $43.10 effective October 1st, 2009 due to the dedication and outstanding service that Town & Country has given to the Town of Dodgeville in the past years and current. Thomas Mueller seconded the motion. Motion carried.
16) Adjournment. Thomas Mueller made a motion to adjourn the meeting at 8:52 p.m. David Gollon seconded the motion. Motion carried.
Sara J. Olson, Clerk-Treasurer
October 28, 2019 Planning Commission Meeting
October 10, 2019 Regular Town Board Meeting
October 1, 2019 Regular Town Board Meeting
September 3, 2019 Regular Town Board Meeting
August 6, 2019 Regular Town Board Meeting
July 15, 2019 Sanitary District #1 Board of Commissions
July 2, 2019 Sanitary District Board of Commissioners
July 2, 2019 Regular Town Board Meeting
June 24, 2019 Planning Commission Meeting
June 4, 2019 Regular Town Board Meeting